GALA OPENING CONCERT AT USC
Sunday, May 15 – 4:30 PM
The Festival opens on its home campus, the University of Southern California, with a concert featuring Cello Duello from Germany (Jens Peter Maintz and Wolfgang Emanuel Schmidt), improvisation by Giovanni Sollima, and Te Amo Argentina, a performance of music, dance and visuals, the brainchild of cellist Antonio Lysy.
BEETHOVEN CLOSING GALA CONCERT
Sunday, May 22 – 7:00 PM
The 2016 Piatigorsky International Cello Festival concludes with a spectacular gala concert, featuring a host of renowned musicians performing Beethoven’s complete works for cello and piano.
- Sonata in F Major, Op. 5, No. 1 (Ronald Leonard & pianist Kevin Fitz-Gerald)
- Variations in E flat Major (Laurence Lesser & pianist Kevin Fitz-Gerald)
- Sonata in C Major, Op. 102, No. 1 (Thomas Demenga & pianist Bernadene Blaha)
- Sonata in A Major, Op. 69 (Colin Carr & pianist Bernadene Blaha)
- Variations in F Major (Matt Haimovitz & pianist Christopher O’Riley)
- Sonata in G Minor, Op. 5, No. 2 (Mischa Maisky & pianist Lily Maisky)
- Variations in G Major (Andrew Shulman & pianist Jeffrey Kahane)
- Sonata in D Major, Op. 102, No. 2 (Jean-Guihen Queyras & pianist Jeffrey Kahane)